The Ultimate Cabinet Guide
When it comes to designing a space, cabinets play both a functional and an aesthetic role. Cabinets are the backbone of any room, so choosing the right type of cabinets and understanding their different components can have a significant impact on the final design. In this guide, we will provide an overview of the different cabinet types and parts, and explain why Alps Craftsman is the best in the business.
Types of Cabinets
Several types of cabinets can be used in a cabinet design, whether for a kitchen or another space in your home. Some of the most common are:
- Base cabinets: These cabinets are the foundation of the kitchen and are installed below the countertops. They are designed to provide storage space for larger items such as pots, pans, and small appliances.
- Wall cabinets: These cabinets are installed to provide storage space on the walls above the countertops. They can be used to store smaller items such as dishes, glasses, and spices.
- Tall cabinets: These cabinets run from the floor up, not leaving room for a countertop. This extra space is great for a pantry or for providing storage space for larger items such as brooms, mops, and other cleaning supplies. These are sometimes also called utility cabinets.
- Corner cabinets: These cabinets are designed to fit in the corners of the kitchen and can be used to store items that are not used frequently.
- Specialty cabinets: These cabinets are designed for the storage of specific items such as wine, spices, and trash bins.
Understanding the different parts of a cabinet can help you make an informed decision about the type of cabinets you want in your design. The most common parts of a cabinet are:
- Cabinet box: The main structure of the cabinet is usually made of wood or engineered wood.
- Face frame: The part of the cabinet that is visible when the cabinet doors are closed. It is usually made of solid wood and is used to reinforce the cabinet box. Not all cabinets have face frames because this extra material creates a slightly smaller opening into the actual cabinet and a larger gap between cabinet doors when they are installed.
- Doors: The front panels of the cabinet, which are used to access the storage space inside the cabinet. They can be made of various materials such as wood, glass, or metal.
- Drawers: Sliding compartments that are used to store smaller items such as utensils and cutlery.
- Hinges: The hardware that connects the cabinet doors to the cabinet box. They are available in various types such as concealed or exposed hinges. Soft-close hinges are very common on cabinets so the doors don’t shut too quick.
- Glides: Rails that are attached to the cabinet box and drawers that allow for opening and closing. Most often the glides have a soft-close feature so that the drawers don’t slam shut.
Cabinet Construction Styles
The look of a cabinet is more than just the material it’s made from or the door design. Construction styles can greatly affect the look and functionality of a cabinet. Different cabinet construction styles are:
- Partial Overlay: The cabinet doors are less wide, allowing for more of the face frame to be visible. Face frames slightly reduce the access into a cabinet because there is a small lip around the door opening.
- Full Overlay: Wider cabinet doors cover more of the face frame, allowing for less space between cabinet doors and different cabinets themselves. However, the reduced access into the cabinets is the same as the partial overlay style.
- Frameless Cabinet: Speciality-built cabinets that do not have a face frame. This allows for full access to all items stored inside the cabinet, plus a sleeker look. Frameless cabinets are installed in a unique manner that creates a very tight, almost seamless, look between cabinets.
Alps Craftsman — The Best in the Business
When it comes to offering and installing cabinets for your kitchen, Alps Craftsman is the best in the business. We take pride in our work and only source our cabinets from brands with the highest-quality materials and craftsmanship that are not only beautiful but also functional. Our offerings include a wide range of cabinet options to fit your specific needs, preferences, and budget. Plus, our newly renovated design center allows customers to work hand-in-hand with our design team to create the perfect look and feel for your space. Other companies don’t have the experience, knowledge, or facilities that are available at Alps Craftsman.
Choosing the right type of cabinet and understanding the different parts of a cabinet is crucial when designing a kitchen, bathroom, basement bar, office, or other space in your home. With the help of Alps Craftsman, you can be sure that your cabinets will be beautiful, functional, and built to last. Contact us today to get started on designing the home of your dreams.